Author Topic: Problem with data file  (Read 635 times)

user83

• View Profile
Problem with data file
« on: June 07, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
Hello, i have run a dichotomously scored multiple choice test in Conquest (version 4.5.2). I checked the itn.file and found some strange symbols instead of response categories, e.g., "ï", "»" and "¿" (see attached file). This affects the absolute frequencies per response category. It looks like Conquest has read the datafile incorrectly, but i cannot find any problems in the datafile (attached, too). What may have caused this problem? Greetings, agrado.

user83

• View Profile
Re: Problem with data file
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
... and the itn.file screeshot

dan_c

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »
Can you try upgrading to the release version, 4.14.2?

https://shop.acer.edu.au/acer-conquest-4

Can you also double check your data file doesn’t have a byte order marker (BOM)? This sometimes happens when you use excel to create a fixed width file. Here is how you can check and change your encoding in Visual Studio Code – a free text editor.

https://code.visualstudio.com/updates/vMarch#_utf8-bom-support

user83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
Hello, thank you for your quick reply. I downloaded and installed version 4.14.2, but when i enter the product key i get the message "illegal key, key reuse not permitted". Maybe i made a mistake in installing the updated Conquest version instead of updating it?! What can i do now? Greetings, agrado.

dan_c

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »
Having a look at the frequencies in your itanal, I think it’s almost certainly an issue with using a UTF data file with BOM. You will still need to fix this, even after you update. See my previous post.

Contact our sales team with your previously purchased key to get support to register your updated version of ConQuest:

Once you have reinstalled ConQuest:

You will be able to use your existing licence key if you are reinstalling in the same year as you purchased the key.
If you have lost your key, you will need to email us at sales@acer.org and advise us. Please include as much information about your original purchase as possible.
You will also need to email us at sales@acer.org to obtain a new key if you are reinstalling in a year other than which you purchased your original key. Please include your old licence key in your email.

user83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Yes, you were right. The problem was caused by BOM and i could fix it following your advice. Apparently SPSS (version 24) also uses BOM automatically when saving an ASCII file. I could remove the BOM from the dat.file using Notepad (or Visual Studio). Thank you very much! Greetings, agrado