Author Topic: Error Message: No Parameters to estimate. Estimation cannot proceed.  (Read 41 times)

JerredJolin

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello!

I'm attempting to fit a partial credit model to a set of data (Conquest 4). 73 students rated 37 statements with a 6-point likert scale. Due to category sparseness in the response vector, I collapsed the 6 categories into three.

When I attempt to fit the model, I get the error code in the subject line. Attached here is a screenshot showing this. Also, I've attached the command, data, and labels files.

Could this have to do with the fact that by collapsing the categories many of the response sequences are perfect scores (e.g., now, something like 45% of the response sequences are all 2s).

Thanks for your continued assistance,

-Jerred
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:44:46 PM by JerredJolin »

dan_c

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Error Message: No Parameters to estimate. Estimation cannot proceed.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:01:15 AM »
There is something funky in the encoding of your data file. I would need to know more about how you created it to diagnose it.

I converted your data to csv and the file is read in correctly. Note that CSV support is new in ConQuest 5, along with other improvement including estimation speed and MCMC estimators https://shop.acer.edu.au/acer-conquest-5.html

Note that if I look at a hexdump of your data file, it appears there is some extra symbol at then end of the last record. This might be a hint to help you diagnose the issue at your end. Here is the last 32 bits:

Code: [Select]
00000b40: 32 31 32 32 31 32 32 32 32 31 32 32 32 32 32 32    2122122221222222
00000b50: 32 31 32 32 32 32 30 32 30 32 32 31 32 32 0A       21222202022122.

If I remove that character, then your model runs fine also. I have attached both data files below.

JerredJolin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:34:31 AM »
Hello Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I created the data file by converting an excel spreadsheet into a tab delimited .txt file. Then, I eliminated all of the tabs in the .txt file using search and replace. I've created data files using this process before, without issue.

-Jerred

JerredJolin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »
Hello again Dan,

I was wondering if you could do the same thing to this datafile as you did to my datafile yesterday. I'm getting the same error message about no parameters to estimate. Estimation cannot proceed. So, I am assuming that, once again, there is something funky about the encoding of my datafile.

Is there a better way of going about creating a datafile than the procedure I outlined in my previous message, please let me know.

Also, could you show me how to take a hexdump of my datafile? Thanks!

-Jerred

JerredJolin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
Hello Dan,

Sorry to be a pain, but I was wondering if you might be willing to run the same hexadump procedure on the datasheet I shared yesterday. I understand that this kind of request is probably outside the scope of the work you do here for the forum, so I appreciate your support in this matter. I am under a bit of a time crunch for getting this data analyzewd so I'd like to get the interpretation process underway as soon as possible.

Thanks

-Jerred

dan_c

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »
I use VS code - you can download it here: https://code.visualstudio.com

You can find instructions about hot to view a hexdump fo a file in VS code here: https://github.com/stef-levesque/vscode-hexdump

It does look like the same issue exists in this file too - you can fix it by deleting the last CRLF and "0", and replacing it and saving the file. We see this a fair bit with MS Excel - the filetypes created in MS do not confirm to standards for text files (for example, we see BOM characters being appended to the start of files, and when exporting CSV there is no line feed for the last record). You could write an appropriate file using R, for example (the haven package writes SPSS files, the write.csv function writes CSVs, and the write_fwf function in the tidyverse library writes FWF).

dan_c

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 11:00:00 AM »
could you email me the original Excel file so I can see what is going on with the export?

If you don't want to upload it here, you can email it to me (dan.cloney_at_acer.org)